Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Necessary Extravagance

Business cards are not totally necessary these days. However, I love a nice one. And, a letterpress business card is some kind of wonderful. I think they stand to make an important statement: that high quality is timeless and worthwhile and should be appreciated.
Aardvark Letterpress http://www.aardvarkletterpress.com is a gem of a place from a bygone era. It is a family owned business in operation for more than 40 years. Their approach to each job is unique and the craftsmanship is sublime. Brooks Ocon, the master printer and son of the owner, was kind enough to walk me through the intricate and beautiful process. I wanted something simple and classic. Something that felt good. I brought my previous quick-draw card in that I had designed. The idea wasn't horrible, but the paper was horrendous. I found myself purposefully 'forgetting' to bring any when I went out. Brooks helped me upgrade in every way.
I am very happy with the end result. Proud even.
My old cards were quickly donated to the art-project drawer for my daughter.
And now, when asked for my card, I am secretly beaming.




















1 comment: