Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The bubble

Strong coffee, crayons, and the New York Times. The sun is so warm, the butterflies are flitting, and the squirrels are driving our dog crazy. Oh how I love mornings like these. The latest headlines from Haiti remind me how much of a bubble LA can be. Just as I was thinking, ugh, we have to make another Trader Joes run today because we are low on milk, I pick up the paper. It is almost impossible to imagine that such scary and sad scenes are unfolding on the same planet. As a mother bear, one whose head can go to dark "what-if" places, especially in a land where the threat of an earthquake is always in the air, I choose to stay in the bubble this morning. For my daughter's sake, for now, I am grateful for its simplicity. I have already tried to explain some of the images she has stumbled upon, in an honest yet sensitive way. I know it is important that she feels and understands the world around her. But there is time for that. Today, I am just happy that in her drawings, everyone and everything is smiling. Even the grass.






1 comment: